Thursday, March 26, 2009


When I got to the second trimester I was so excited. I thought all my symptoms would go away. They didn't, but I did get a few more...

I began to cramp so bad at 16 weeks that my doc sent me to the ER (it was Friday, and his office is closed). I was terrified because the cramps felt like labor to me and I was sure I was losing the baby. I had an ultrasound which upset me because they wouldn't wait for Bill. I was actually afraid I was going to see that the baby had died, and dealing with that alone made me tremble with dread. The ultrasound confirmed a contraction in the brief time I was being scanned, and the tech told me I had placenta previa, which I wasn't at all familiar with.

The doctor also said I was very dehydrated so they hooked me up to I.V. fluids for a while ( I've deducted, from my own experience and talking to other moms, whenever doctors don't know what's wrong they immediately give you I.V. fluids). He sent me home with bed rest for the weekend and a follow up with my doc on Monday.

Bill just said; " Well, looks like the whole pregnancy is going to be a nail biter, huh."

I was so disappointed to be dealing with possible pre tem labor, a placental condition I did not understand and all of it on top of what we were already dealing with.

I was also trying hard to stay hydrated and I was gagging down Gatorade even tho I loathe it. I was also unable to work out, which for me is a HUGE stress reliever. When I get stressed out I have to exercise hard. Idleness, for me, can lead to panic attacks.

Once again, my dear hubby lent me some of his easy going calm, he made those long unsure days survivable.

We had our appointment, we had an ultrasound. The baby was fine and I had NO placenta previa! My doc also said that even if the placenta was placed low it didn't matter, as I was scheduled for a c-section anyway.

We were ecstatic. We had from the beginning decided to be surprised by the baby's sex at the actual birth but we'd changed our minds. We wanted to get to know our baby as well as we could right away.

It was very easy too, the tech asked us if we wanted to know the sex and when we said yes she showed us an unmistakable pic of our little BOY!
I relaxed considerably after that and also got my appetite back in a big way. At my 20 week appointment I'd gained 12 pounds! Maybe Chipolte before our visit was a bad idea...
Bill was his usual self, he just shrugged and said, "You're pregnant, what'd you expect?"
I just adore my husbands way of looking at things!

No comments:

Post a Comment